Resources – useful guides
AWTS & Septic Servicing
A simple three page guide on what to expect with AWTS and septic servicing and why it's important.
Do's and Don’ts
A simple one page guide on how to maintain your aerated septic system and what products you can and can’t use.
One page of handy hints to keep your aerated septic system healthy, products conserving water and unblocking drains.
Looking After Your Disposal Area
A simple one page guide on how to look after your wastewater disposal area.
Frequently asked questions
It is a requirement under the NSW Health Act that all AWTS must be serviced every 3 months. Once your service is completed, we will email you your report and also send it to your local Council soon after.
It is a requirement under NSW Health Law and local Councils that your AWTS is serviced every 3 months by an accredited service provider.
Your BluenGrey service includes the following:
- Respect of your property and following of OH&S guidelines
- Check for electrical safety and if control box/alarm are working at the tank
- Check aeration, irrigation and sludge pumps (if fitted) are working
- Clean aeration and clarification filters
- Adjust and operate sludge return as required
- Measure sludge accumulation in septic chamber to see if pump out is needed
- Check inlet and chamber junctions are clear and report on septic chamber crust
- Test Ph, free chlorine levels and replenish chlorine as required (up to 6 tablets)
- Report on status of irrigation area
- If fitted and accessible clean irrigation filters
- Make comments and recommendations for any additional work that may be required.
Once completed we will provide you with a written or emailed service report and send it to your local council.
In addition to servicing, we will:
- Text you to let you know when your service is due
- Advise you of any additional work that is or may be required
Note the following work is not included in our servicing fee:
- Repairs and installation of any irrigation parts or sprinklers
- Emergency callouts for any failure or breakdown
- Parts and labour for any repairs and/or additions or modifications to any part of the system
- Cleaning out of any tank or compartment
- Pump outs
- Aeration and irrigation pump replacement.
An AWTS is not a septic tank. Under NSW Health legislation, an AWTS has to be serviced every 3 months.
An AWTS involves the treatment of wastewater, which is then irrigated into the disposal area. If not maintained and treated properly there can be serious adverse effects – spread of disease and bacteria, contamination of groundwater and surface water, unpleasant odours, noise and insects, degradation of soil and vegetation.
An AWTS also has moving parts and pumps that need regular checking.
We service most types including:
- Garden Master
Your alarm may be going off because there is something wrong with your aeration pump or there is a high water level in the tank causing the high water float to raise and set off the alarm.
If there is a high water level it means that the pump has stopped or the water can’t get away.
If the high water alarm is on, it means that the water is not leaving the tank.
The most common reasons for this are:
- Blocked filter
- Blocked outlets – check and clear if necessary
- Blocked irrigation and water can’t escape quick enough
- Kinks or broken irrigation (especially if you have been mowing or doing yard work that would impact irrigation area)
- A faulty one way check valve
- Broken internal pipe
- Irrigation pump is at the end of its life.
If the air light is on, the aeration pump is not working.
The most common reasons are:
- Broken air line
- Diaphragms inside the aeration pump have split and stopped working
- Aeration pump has stopped working.
To check the aeration pump, stand next to the box on top of the tank and you should be able to:
- Hear the air blower humming away
- Hear the air bubbling through the water in the aeration chamber.
Please see our useful Do's and Don'ts Guide
Yes, it is. It means that there is little bacteria in the tank which is typically due to antibacterial products used in the house. It is a bad thing because the bacteria breaks down the waste in the primary chamber. Without the bacteria, the system will start to smell and the sludge will accumulate.
Need your septic system pumped out?
It's is a requirement under NSW Health that all aerated wastewater treatment systems (AWTS) are serviced every three months. BluenGrey keeps your system working with good advice and reliable, professional servicing.
"I can’t recommend BluenGrey highly enough"
“BluenGrey are an absolute pleasure to deal with. Their Service Technicians are always professional and reliable, and I like to know that our wastewater system is looked after so we’re always meeting our Council’s regulations. I feel reassured knowing I can call on them should I have any worries about our system, and especially that they can respond to emergencies.”
– Emma, Shoalhaven
"BluenGrey are a great ‘one stop shop’ service at competitive prices"
“Having made the decision to move to a semi-rural property at Yass we investigated options for our grey and rain water requirements. We approached BluenGrey who provided a range of options for us to select from. Their personal and professional approach, which included on-site meetings, ultimately led us to choose to proceed with BluenGrey who offered a ‘one stop shop’ service at competitive prices. The installation was trouble free and their follow-on service and advice has been excellent. We are completely satisfied with the BluenGrey services and have no hesitation in recommending them to future customers.”
– Col and Anne Eade
"Rod’s expertise is exceptional"
“We would like to thank Rod for all his guidance and patience while we were investigating water and sewerage systems, and asking a myriad of questions. We had never built before and knew nothing about what we needed for water and sewerage, so Rod was a fountain of knowledge. His expertise has been exceptional. Both the water tank and the sewerage system were installed hassle-free and passed Council inspection without any issues. We look forward to an ongoing relationship with Rod when he visits to do the necessary checks and balances of our sewerage system”
– Melissa and Scott Jobson, Tapitallee
"BluenGrey were very helpful in every respect"
“From our initial conversations through to final installation BluenGrey were very helpful in every respect, and courteous and obliging with regards to my requirements. Work commenced on time as planned with pictures texted through to us during the installation showing progress. All in all job a well done with zero issues. I would recommend BluenGrey to anyone considering waste disposal units and / or rainwater tanks.”
– Steven Hawke, Longbeach